Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Obama is my Hopeboy

I was originally for Hillary Clinton.  I think she's pretty badass plus I would love to see Bill as the First Gentleman.  And when it comes to those indicators of which demographics tend to go to which candidate, I identify far more with my need for equality as a woman than my need for equality as a black woman.

But then Obama caught my attention.  He
 seemed to embody all the American ideals that make me love my country -- yes, hope; but also opportunity, ambition, equality, inclusiveness, pride. I once met a couple of men who work in politics for the city, and they remarked that getting into politics is one thing; you stay because you have a lot of favors to repay and a few to call in.  It seems to me that out of anyone whose name was on the ballot in the primaries, Obama stands to have the least strings attached.  The clincher for me is that after the past eight years, I understand the importance of not just the president, but his cabinet.  I'm excited about the prospect of a cabinet full of people with ideas and real wisdom about security, international relations, the environment, health care.  Obama is most likely to appoint people like this.

The New York Times ran a great editorial that should shut up anyone who's hung up on the experience issue.  It basically compared the US presidents from the last century, and, surprise!  Our least experienced presidents are also remembered as the greatest; the most experienced candidates are mostly forgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment