Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Dallas Cowboys Just Became My Favorite Team

Since my professional industry is arts/entertainment and my religion is running, I'm particularly interested in the intersection of arts and sports. It's a rare one, to be sure. Back in '04 I wrote and produced a play about training for my first NYC Marathon, but since then, the arts/sports world has been quiet (who can blame them, I'm a hard act to follow)... until now.

The Dallas Cowboys are updating their stadium with contributions from a handful of artists. Says Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in Artnet news: "Football is full of the unexpected and the spontaneous -- it can make two strangers into friends. Art has the power to do that too, to get people talking, and looking, and interacting."

Beautifully put. Listen up, struggling arts organizations: the money may not be on stage, but it's still flowing on the fields.

2 comments: