Wednesday, August 19, 2009

In Which The Mayoress Has Doubts

If only the Health Care issue were simple. It's not. Witness the most commented-on ever status on my Facebook page, 20+ comments about my support of the bill. Everyone makes good points.

And yesterday's editorial by Bob Herbert seriously depressed me. Lately I've been more aware than ever how much capitalism decides everything in this country. It honestly makes me nauseous.

And even though I believe the elderly are woefully undervalued in our culture, I do agree with some of the points in this editorial on the ridiculousness of late-life care:

I’m just wondering why the nation continues incurring enormous debt to pay for bypass surgery and titanium-knee replacements for octogenarians and nonagenarians, when for just a small fraction of those costs we could provide children with preventive health care and nutrition. Eight million children have no health insurance, but their parents pay 3 percent of their salaries to Medicare to make sure that seniors get the very best money can buy in prescription drugs for everything from restless leg syndrome to erectile dysfunction, scooters and end-of-life intensive care.

So, while yes, I support *a* health care bill, I support one with a public option, and one that is open to improvement in the months and years ahead. To be continued.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete