Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Mayoress Endorsements: NYC Primary 9/15


Okay, New York City Democrats. You're voting on Tuesday 9/15, and at the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time:

Why is the primary MORE important that the general election, class?

BECAUSE, my dear readers, in New York, the Democrat almost always gets elected, so choosing WHICH Democrat is MORE important, and that happens on Tuesday, September 15. This is also why you must register as a Democrat, not an Independent.

>Visit the Official NYC Voter Guide

MAYOR: WILLIAM C. THOMPSON
From the start, Thompson has been speaking out against Bloomberg's continued ridiculousness. He recognizes that NYC is more than just the affluent neighborhoods and believes in creating jobs and backing social services. Our current Comptroller (and therefore well acquainted with our city's fiscal position), he's also really good at using Facebook appropriately as an elected official, which sets my marketer's heart a-twitter (hee!).

PUBLIC ADVOCATE: ERIC GIOIA
I'll be honest, this is my toughest category, so I opted for advice from the politically active people I admire most (props, Babs Chen and Matt Silverstein). There are several strong choices here so go ahead and check them all out. And don't fault Gioia if he's suddenly scarce over the next few days - his wife's nine months pregs.

COMPTROLLER: DAVID YASSKY
I'm a Yassky fan going back 4 years. When I was going through my career change and considering politics, city council worker and friend Emily Merrill cited Yassky as one of the few who was progressively representing his district, which includes my neighbors just a few blocks west in the 'burg. I worked on his campaign for Congress, which he lost, but I'm glad he's now running to keep serving the city. He's a champion of green energy and seems pretty genuine for a local politician, so he's my pick.

CITY COUNCIL
I urge you to find out who your incumbent is and NOT vote for him or her. Why? Because he or she helped Bloomberg overturn the law that NYC voters established overturning term limits. None of them deserve to be re-elected after committing such a heinous crime against their constituents. This is also why Bloomberg must be voted on on November 3.

MANHATTAN D.A.
I'm in Brooklyn but for all my city peeps, a word of caution before you vote for Cy Vance Jr. because the Times told you to: his primary legal experience is defending white collar criminals. Is that really the influence we want at city hall? So, as always, everyone vote for Sam Waterston 4evah! YAY!! (But seriously, here's some good info on the candidates.)

Okay, players - go VOTE!

4 comments:

  1. Aww shux, I blush. Actually and technically, I also endorse Ciara for Mayor! Nice work; thanks for keeping everyone on the pulse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALAN J GERSON - the best choice for solving the prevailing issues like overcrowded schools, massive budget cuts, high unemployment rates, and unprecedented cuts to our social services.
    So on September 15th when you march to polling station please vote for the humble Alan J Gerson to continue his reform works for a cleaner, greener, safer New York City.
    www.gerson2009.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am inspired by his works...

    ReplyDelete