Wednesday, September 16, 2009

NYC Election Results and Call to Action

Here are your Democratic Nominees -

Mayor - Bill Thompson
Comptroller - Runoff election between John Liu and David Yassky (Yassky is my pick)
Public Advocate - Bill de Blasio
Manhattan DA - Cy Vance

And if you had a City Council race, you can pretty much assume your incumbent won. Mine did by only 2 percentage points.

But let's talk about the real problem. Excuse me while I climb onto my high horse.

So many of you did not vote yesterday. I know you're registered because you were oh so hyped up about Obama last fall. And you've had 10 months to switch your registration to your zip code of residency if you were previously registered in your home state.

Something like 300,000 voters turned out in a city of over 8.25 million. Sure, you can subtract those not eligible for this election like children and Independents, but come on: in November, over 2.3 million of you showed up.

I feel very strongly about this: there is no excuse for not voting. The NYC primaries is the place your vote counts the most. The only place your vote will count in November is the race for mayor because the Democrat always wins in the other offices. And the mayoral race is vital but because Bloomberg can outspend any opponent several times over, Bill Thompson is up against Goliath. And know what? Your ignorance and inaction is telling our politicians it's okay to do politics as usual.

I wanted to puke last night when I listened to Bloomberg say "I only take a salary of $1 a year, I work for YOU!" Um, hello? If we're not paying you, you're not working for us. You're volunteering. So this is all about your ego, and the billions that make you the richest man in NYC come from private interests. That's not the mayor I want. I'm not saying money always equals evil - if Bill Gates ran for office I'd be the first to vote for him - because he is a true progressive who spends his money helping people. Bloomberg spent his money contributing to Bush's 2004 campaign.

I will do everything I can to get as many votes for Thompson between now and November 3. I hope you find your city, the amount of taxes you pay and where they go, how tourism is handled, services for the poor, law enforcement, the environment, MTA fare hikes, real estate development, the arts, and all the other things the local governement decides, worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Gus Soumas has gotten Dom Long and Troy Savino to endorse Thomson in October!

    ReplyDelete