Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Blue is the New Red

I used to be a Republican.  This was my default setting, having grown up in the suburbs and the Christian church, both predictably homogenous. 

Living in New York, confronted daily with class differences, every race and culture, the homeless, and the never-ending frustration that is healthcare even if you are insured, it was only a matter of time until I made the switch.

My friends in NYC that are Republicans are white men who grew up comfortably and are concerned with keeping their money.  I get that, it's just not how I approach the world and my responsibility to it.

To me, the fundamental difference between the parties is that Republicans believe everyone was dealt the same hand; Democrats believe many of us weren't even born into a full deck from which to play, let alone a Royal Flush.  I take it as my responsibility to make sure the house gives everyone a chance to play.

As a Christian, I firmly believe Jesus cared far more about helping the poor and living the principle of human equality than abortion and gay marriage.  Does the Bush regime remind you more of the disciples or the pharisees?

I very much believe in small government and personal responsibility - in a perfect world.  Hell, in a perfect world, I'd be a Libertarian.  But our world is far from perfect.

While I respect the choice and philosophy to identify as Independent, it is important to understand the problem with this in New York.  Because the city is so heavily Democrat, the primaries are what matter, because that's when we pick which Democrat will represent us.  If you're Independent, you don't get to vote in September, which, in a city where our local officials determine the laws that affect our everyday lives, is foolish at best.  That goes for those who make their home in New York, paying NYC taxes, but are still registered in another state.

I encourage anyone who reads this to a) be a registered voter where he/she lives; b) know your primary candidates and never miss a September election, and c) know who your local officials are and their email addresses and bug them accordingly when something bugs you.

2 comments:

  1. I knew the cushy white boy thing would come back to haunt me ;-)

    Its true, I am blessed to have "won the genetic race lottery" as it were, but I am also part of an immigrant Italian American experience who's father actually grew up in the Projects. My mother came from a wealthier background, and her side of the family are Republicans, but my dad is staunchly Democratic. I was taught to never forget where I came from and I haven't. I continue to support causes that I believe in- and I do tend to agree that its our responsibility as the more fortunate to help those that are not- I only wonder if its the governments place to do so.

    To be honest C-Press, I can't argue with you on this point. You're right, people see me and see the "silver spoon class", and I know that. So called white-guilt is a funny thing, and honestly I try not to live my life that way- as I feel that guilt is a useless emotion. Instead we need to all take personal responsibility for our brothers & sisters, which is what Jesus taught us. "What you do for the least, you do unto me." But its our job as individuals to do so- so we can guarantee that those we care most about get the support they deserve.

    One of my favorite political jokes ever is that "people are born Democrats, then become Republicans, until they can afford to become Democrats again". But you make great points- and I think its a very fair argument.

    You are spot on regarding Independents- I feel the same way about them as I do those who "listen to everything" on their IPods. Even if you like a wide variety of music- you have to have a favorite... pick a side!

    As for knowing your local officials- In the words of The Blast Master, Kris Parker, aka KRS-1: You Must Learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bov. I don't like to reduce parties to a race issue at all - my point in bringing up race is the lack of factors that cause one to struggle or be disenfranchised. Lord knows I haven't had to deal with that in terms of race, though certainly in terms of gender.

    ReplyDelete