Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ode to Shelly


Next it was off to my first official New York Delegation events. NYSYD Press Secretarty Michael Harris, who helped me charter the Brooklyn Young Democrats last week, had also hooked me up as an official guest of the state delegation.

First up was a reception honoring NY Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (everyone in the know calls him “Shelly”). Of course I had no idea what to expect – plus I was walking into this thing by myself. And that’s the best way to describe it: like crashing a wedding reception.

Held in the Ballroom at the Sheraton, the party was packed with New York state & city leaders, delegates, and press. Fully-catered buffet dinner and open bar (is this my tax dollars at work?). I was in diversity heaven – people of all ages, races, religions, classes; and that made me proud of my state.

In what was to be the first of many fortunate coincidences, the first woman with whom I stuck up a conversation happened to be a full-time volunteer at the little West Village theatre company where I had my college internship.

She introduced me to her husband, who’s very active in Brooklyn with education initiatives, and he in turn intro’d me to the president of a teachers’ organization that is apparently very important. I of course pretended to understand that.

Best of all was bumping into WNYC’s Brian Lehrer and then chatting with some producers and other WNYC staff. As some of you may know, WNYC is on the level of coffee when it comes to my morning – I even listen to it when I go running. So the news nerd in me was quite appeased. They told me that they were staying at La Quinta, pretty far away from the epicenter – and even broadcasting from there.

Everyone went crazy when Governor Patterson arrived – lots of pictures, handshakes – you can imagine. That’s when I realized that this whole thing is about power. Which seems pretty obvious when I type it, but that’s how most people here decide who to talk to, which party to attend, and maybe why they’re here in the first place. It’s like a magnet – when someone high-up walks into a room, everyone gravitates.

And I must shout out my ultra-luxe party favor: Sheldon Silver insulated tote. Watch out Whole Foods!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mayoress! Its Sydney! I'm enjoying your blog, keep up the posting and have a great time!

    ReplyDelete