Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Would Even Change My Name to Mayoress Def



Obama would totally be in trouble if Mos Def ran for Prez, at least in my book.

Actually, someone should play his song "Mr. Nigga" to all the voters who have a problem with race. Click here for lyrics. For those of you who don't speak hip hop, allow me to translate. It's about an established black man who gets treated like a second-class citizen wherever he goes because of his skin color.

Kinda like this true story of former Republican Party Secretary Shannon Reeves (courtesy Al Franken's book): "As a Bush delegate at the 2000 convention in Philadelphia, I proudly wore my delegate's badge and [Republican National Committee] lapel pin as I worked the convention. Regardless of the fact that I was obviously a delegate prominently displaying my credentials, no less than six times did white delegates dismissively tell me to fetch them a taxi or carry their luggage."

On that note, it has gotten to the inexcusable point where the media are portraying race as a legitimate reason for choosing a candidate. I mean it in this way: on The Takeaway this morning I heard race included in the laundry list of reasons that someone might be undecided or voting for McCain, as in "that Obama is black, health care, taxes..." as if skin color is part of a candidate's platform.

People. We agree as a society that racism is WRONG. Journalists are supposed to be somewhat neutral, but I do not think that includes considering racism as anything other than disgusting. The Bradley Effect might be real, but it should not be tolerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment