Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reporting from Kuala Lumpur...

My fourth day in Amsterdam brought with it morning news withdrawal, so I whipped up a double espresso and turned on the TV for the first time. And guess what news channel they have!

Al Jazeera!!

Nothing tickles the Mayoress like a whole new news source.* And it's always good to get some non-US centric news coverage. Among some of the top stories...

Today is a day of mourning in Armenia due to the horrible plane crash that killed 168 people. The pictures of the wreckage are devestating. Apparently, part of the problem is that the airline(s) are not allowed to buy planes from Boeing or Airbus, so they're operating way out-of-date machines making safe travel more unlikely by the day.

China has completely evaded the global recession with growth on pace for 8% this year. Now if only I could remember the answer to my security question on my online trading account. (Who is my favorite fictional character? Alice in Wonderland? Samantha Jones? Mr. Right? I can't figure it out.)

The prime minister of Pakistan made a good speech about the problem of terrorism being global, and that the solution is not simply military but multi-dimensional. He must not have been allowed to talk when Bush was in office.

No more complaining Sam Champion! Al J's weatherperson has to deliver forecasts for five continents! I can't read celcius but I do know it's 35 in Rome today.

Check it out at www.aljazeera.net/english

*Well, that's not true. The Mayoress is tickled by many things, including but not limited to children dancing on Yo Gabba Gabba, people unironically driving Vespas, and B's makeout with a certain well-known news reporter last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment