Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Citizen Journalism Meets Seattle Stupidity

The internets are abuzz with this straight-outta-Seattle video of a cop acting questionably during a jaywalking pullover:



Though I can see why Anthony tipped me on it thinking I would go Politically Involved Minority Woman Apeshit, my first reaction is actually Former Seattlite Disgust.  In college, there was a tiny two-lane street that ran between the bookstore and the student center where we'd routinely get fined for jaywalking.  I wish I had a picture, it's completely ridiculous.  I still to this day, after ten years in jaywalkitoff NYC, get all apprehensive when crossing even on corners in the Pacific Northwest.  Way to be tough on crime Seattle!

The problem with this video to me is that a) we don't see what may have provoked the cop to get physical at all in the first place, and b) if a cop was trying to handcuff me or whatever, the last thing I would do is fight back because anyone with even a cursory knowledge of TV crime dramas knows you can get slapped with an assault of a police officer charge.  Also, where's his partner? 

But as I'm sure the comments on this coverage will support, this one's going to piss people off, on both sides.

Crap, I really hope that's not the cop I dated in college.

2 comments:

  1. I actually agree with you on a lot of this- 1.) These people were clearly acting a fool both before, during, and after this altercation. As unjustified as this cop's reaction was- these women provoked on some level. Still, a straight punch seemed a little harsh to me.

    The bigger issue is PEOPLE GET FINED FOR JAYWALKING IN SEATTLE??!! Wow, I would be hella effed, because I barely look when I'm crossing the street. Having grown up in NY (where I was always taught by my father to "look them in the eye when you cross- they'll be less likely to hit you" and spending my summers in MA where the law is that the pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way- and its illegal to NOT stop- I would be a cop's quota dream!

    I sent the video not only for the content- but also because I was really interested at how many people decided to immediately video. With technology the way it is- we're all our own guerilla journalists and whether those people were taping for the good of the cause or because they are gearing up for Bum Fights XII, it's just interesting that we've gone to a "shoot video first, ask questions later".

    Glad to be of service.
    AJBNYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice take AJB. Although I believe it's "shoot first, ask questions last" (that's how most of these so-called gangsters pass).

    ReplyDelete