Monday, June 22, 2009

Why Can't The Times Print The Word Fuck?

I mean, seriously? I can do it: fuck. See? Not hard. I understand not using it in article text:

The overall tenor of the voters suggested the entire Iranian election was fucked.

Yeah, there are other ways that could be written. But in yesterday's nice article on the three actresses in Twelfth Night at the Delacorte, they substituted "word that cannot be printed" in a quote by Julie White. Which is stupid simply because it isn't true. The letters f, u, c, and k, all appeared in print in that very article, I can't imagine it's impossible to put them together in order. Why, I'm sure the adjacent review of A Midsummer Night's Dream made reference to Puck, just one letter's difference, or that at one point Bruni reviewed a Wolfgang Puck restaurant, or that a hockey article included the word puck, or a profile on an actor's success talked about luck, an accident involved a truck, our senator's first name is Chuck, you see where I'm going with this.

Buck up, Times! Suck it up! Not your fault if an interviewee drops the f-bomb! You're just journalizing! Don't pass the buck! Try your luck! Say it with me now:

Fuck!

*Please note use of Oxford comma in the long paragraph. Oxford comma: I will not give up on you! Oxford comma 4EVAH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment