Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prom Niiiiight!

Interesting editorial in the Times on prom as social institution. I really liked what this principal had to say about his school's decision to cancel prom for the past four years because of the money it made kids spend - whether they had it or not:

The excesses surrounding the prom were contrary to the lessons we were teaching our students. That doesn’t mean that wealth is inherently evil. But there are two important questions associated with money whose answers are critical: How did you get it? And what are you doing with it? The prom experience revealed a wasteful flaunting of wealth that undermined the dignity of the young people attracted to its siren calls. Four years later, our school community is better off without the prom.

Lots of people seem to have had nightmare prom experiences -- of course they did, with so much pressure on one stupid night. The same stuff that drives women to bridezilladom. I had an awesome prom... actually, three. Two with my adorable high school sweetheart Greg, one with "Marq with a Q", and most importantly, all with dresses I LOVED. I'd put up some pics but I don't have a scanner. You'll just have to imagine the fabulousness... wait, I still have both dresses. 90's Prom Party, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment