Thursday, May 7, 2009

Because What's More Political Than Sex?


Fascinating article on a new book about the fascinating Helen Gurley Brown, who I, until now, did not realize was fascinating because I'd deeply buried a disparaging comment from my mom (from at least 15 years ago) in my subconscious. While I can see why a mother would have wanted to keep her teenage daughter far from Cosmo, I must also ask you, dear reader, who wouldn't want HGB for - well, maybe not a mom, but at least that cool aunt that your mom is terrified to let you visit?

At her most radical, Brown was a subversive rather than a revolutionary; a sexual libertarian rather than a liberator; and an unapologetic partisan of free enterprise. (She once called Margaret Thatcher a “Cosmo Girl.”) “How could any woman not be a feminist?” she wondered, in 1985, in an interview on her twentieth anniversary at Cosmopolitan. “The girl I’m editing for wants to be known for herself. If that’s not a feminist message, I don’t know what is.”

I would also like to note that I happen to be wearing practically the same dress as the one in this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment