Sunday, May 23, 2010

In Which the Mayoress Reveals Her Platform

I woke up at 6:30am today, a Sunday, and found myself mentally summarizing my stance on every issue.  I know, what?

So, in the tradition of Sunday morning punditry, Meet the Pressler:


Environment.  I'm from Oregon, that should sum it up.

Drugs.  Legalize and tax the hell out of it.

Education.  More funding via legalization.

Crime. SVU over original L&O but never CI.

Old People.  Give them a more prominent place in our society, like Betty White hosting SNL.

Politics.  Less lawyers.  More young people.  More representative balance of society in terms of sex, economic background, race, age, education.


Iraq/Afghanistan.  Not on my top ten list of destinations.  Less sand, more beaches!

Terrorism.  Not best fought via a war.

Gay rights.  This is of huge importance to me, both because equality is a #1 value but also because I wish I were a gay man.

Gay marriage.  Marriage as a whole is a bit of an outdated arrangement, isn't it?  People should be able to do what they choose with whom they choose, but on the flip, those who don't marry should not be punished for it. (I am registered at Barney's.)

Economy.  I would like a raise.

Health care.  For all.  Moral obligation.  Period.

Arts.  For all.  Societal necessity.  All children should receive arts education, but not all people should go into the arts professionally.

Media.  It's gotten a bit out of control with the 24-hour news cycle and the internet.  How about if every outlet, online and off, that makes even a cent off of its reporting has to adhere to a set of guidelines about fair, balanced, honest, and fact-checked reporting?  I know, clusterfuck.

"Minorities".  I don't think it's useful to create women's organization this and black people's magazine that.  How about integration rather than further marginalization by separation?  This article really shifted my perspective to this idea.

Sports.  Red Sox can suck it.  Trailblazers 4evah.  Soccer players are the hottest.  Pay distance runners like quarterbacks.  And re doping - make it 100% legal and then let's see what crazy shit happens!

In summary, keep it progressive.  New ideas over argument from tradition.  Openness to change, equality for all, personal responsibility, help for those who can't help themselves.  Vote.

*subject to change without notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment