Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Done and done.

I voted in Williamsburg Brooklyn at 7am, only waited 5 minutes.

But here's my concern: I'm watching shots of long lines on the news, hundreds of people turning out in pivotal states. But we all knew today's turnout would be unprecedented... so WHY didn't officials do something? More polling stations? More machines, more ballots?

Also -- I'm lucky to work for a company where our CEO is encouraging us to take all the time we need to vote today, but many people aren't that fortunate. Sure, the law says one can take time off to vote, but company culture may not reflect that. My roommate had a mandatory meeting at 8am today. Or worse - what if your income depends on the number of hours worked or earning tips? I used to be a waitress. Coming in late was not an option. And who wants to earn less money because they stood in line for hours? That shouldn't be a decision anyone should have to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment