Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Marketing of the President

Last night I went to a panel hosted by ProPublica on "The Marketing of the President" - of particular interest to me of course, as a marketer and a political junkie.  The other draw was that it was hosted by Farai Chideya, of whom I'm a big fan. 

The discussion was less about marketing in general, and centered around how campaigns are using online data - information we voluntarily (though often accidentally) share via free sites like Facebook and Pandora.  Lois Beckett, Kate Kaye, and Joseph Turow brought lots of interesting points that I wasn't even aware of as a marketer re privacy (or lack thereof), digital footprints, data storage, and the algorithms advertisers build around our actions and potential actions.

My favorite point was made by Turow - something I believe in and have been sensing for awhile now - that eventually there will be so much information online about all of us that it will become moot. 

At least, I'm hoping this is the case, otherwise The Mayoress will never become an actual mayoress (this blog, case in point).

No comments:

Post a Comment