Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ode to Lisa Bloom

I cannot recommend Lisa Bloom's book Think highly enough.  It's one of the most personally influential books I have read this year.  Every woman must read it, and men should pick it up too.

The jist of Lisa's book in two words is: read more.  The point is that women are still unequal because we give up our power in so many ways, ie caring more about celebrities than current events, giving away our time by allowing spouses/live-in partners to do less of the housework and child rearing, reality TV, errands and chores that just aren't worth our time.

"Women's accomplishments are rarely celebrated in our media unless the 'accomplishment' is in one of these five areas: appearance, romance, marriage, pregnancy, or babies."

This book allowed me to exhale.  As a single woman with Patti Stanger yelling in my ear that looking hot is all that matters, it was such a breath of fresh air to remember how wonderful it is to embrace being smart.  As you can see from the book cover, Lisa gets that this culture won't allow us to completely dial out of exterior-consciousness, but she candidly shares her own experiences being subject to attractiveness standards (and maintenance!) as a TV personality, and has struck an admirable balance.

I actually got rid of cable after reading Think.  I still watch TV online - but it's more likely that I'll also watch a documentary on Netflix than collapse into a Housewives marathon.  The amount and quality and frequency of my reading has vastly improved in the past couple months.  Not to mention doing more writing - and look! - blogging.  And just like when you eat more vegetables and less candy, I just feel better.

My only issue with the book is that it's definitely for people from the middle class or above -- hiring a housekeeper to create more time or buying pre-cut vegetables just isn't going to happen for a single mom struggling at minimum wage.  But for the women I know, both peers and those younger who are creating their paths, I truly hope they'll take the time to explore the issues Lisa so smartly explores and brings to light.

You go, girls.

--

Update!  The inspiration to finally write this post was that @LisaBloom tweeted she was on a local radio show - I called in and got on!  Thanked her for all she's doing and asked about her recommendations for female mentorship.  Too awesome.  Never would have happened if I was watching Bravo.  Just sayin'. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment