Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Shuttered.

Key economic indicator of the week: is it just me or are a lot of places closing?  Not just places that probably shouldn't have existed in the first place (call me a Republican, but "if you build it they will come" is the worst business plan ever), but beloved neighborhood standards that you never imagined would disappear.

I was walking up Elizabeth Street last week and Cafe Colonial - site of my first-ever NYC brunch in 1999, was down, making way for a Rag & Bone.  Perfect new tenant and all, but this being just a couple blocks from the CBGB-turned-Varvatos, you can't help but wonder who's next.

Artepasta, the West Village standard for decent cheap Italian, was suddenly gone when I walked past two weeks ago.  I even had my birthday there in '03 or '04 (not to rival Dana, whose bday has been there I believe every single year except last, when we moved around the corner for Drag Queen Brunch - solid).

And now I just read that the Ohio Theater in Soho is closing after 29 years - it was such a great space housing some really solid work.

So what is it - these businesses can't keep up with their original operating costs, or are landlords being unreasonably greedy in this economy?  I just fear that all of Manhattan (and beyond) will be major chains and nothing else - who else can afford these retail rents?

If you've noticed any surprising closures I'd love to hear about it - comment below...

No comments:

Post a Comment