Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Snowfall Investigatory Journalism


I couldn't believe it last week (why is blogger spellchecking the word 'couldn't'? it just did it again! spellchecking the word 'spellchecking' i can understand, but 'couldn't'?! wait, it didn't do it that time. crap! it checked 'didn't'! for heavens.) when I read in Time Out that the biggest one-day snowfall on record in NYC history was 25 feet, 6 inches. That's impossible unless it's a movie starring Jake Gyllenhaal. Mmm, Jake Gyllenhaal.

So I did a little investigating.*

Gothamist says the record was set on February 11, 2006 with over two feet, which hadn't happened since 26 inches in 1947.

The Times echoes that, calling '06 a "record-breaking snowfall."

Bret confirms this because it was on his birthday. He couldn't get a cab. And he's white!

I can't for the life of me remember where I was that weekend, and it was just 3 years ago.

The online version of the article has it in inches (damn updateable internet!) but says the 1947 date is the record.

Et tu, Time Out fact-checkers? It's even in Wikipedia (which the subheader of the article disses as being nonfactual). Or maybe the editors should watch their decimal points?

Or maybe I should get back to real reportage?

*googling

No comments:

Post a Comment