Tuesday, December 8, 2009

In Which the Mayoress Criticizes Obama for the First Time

I still just love Obama. The hope that brought us all together last year got under my skin in a profound way, and I'm glad that optimism is still part of my outlook over a year after that historic election.

That said, I understand why people are frustrated. The economy, the war, health care, terrorism, environment, and our perceptions of whether

One thing I do give our high-up leaders credit for is that they know far more about what's really going on that we do in areas like international relations and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. That's why I don't comment a lot on those topics here. I hate that the wars are still going on, and I'm not crazy about this surge news; but I also don't have any understanding of war strategy or how to effectively end one.

Where I do criticize is on matters where I have first-hand knowledge or experience, or where my day-to-day life is directly affected. (Again, why I'm also active in local politics.) So, health care, economy, taxes, and equal rights are the issues I care about most.

My biggest complaint with the Obama Administration so far is lack of oversight in the financial industry. It's criminal what the banks have gotten away with.

And second, but much less, other economic stimuli. But he's addressing that now, and has done some pretty great immediate things, like helping me pay my COBRA and extending unemployment. And I think it's very long-term visionary of him to work so hard on health care and will ultimately make this a better country in many ways.

But when it comes to most everything else, let us not forget that he's not even been on the job for a year, and he was left with a despicable mess by a disgusting administration.

So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I have faith; I still think he's up to a whole lot of good.


No comments:

Post a Comment